A visit to the beauty parlour

There are some places which are interesting. You get to meet so many people there and for a person like me who likes to observe people, they are just perfect! One such a place is the beauty parlor. Now, I am a person who hates spending hours at the beauty parlor. I'd rather do something at home or spend that time with my daughter. But there are somethings a woman must have on her "to be done at the beauty parlor" list. It was a recent visit for one such thing that prompted this blog piece.
So there I was preparing myself to spend 2-3 boring hours there but little did I know how entertaining those hour would be. No matter how much you would prefer to just stay to yourself, you cannot help overhearing others conversations, especially when they happen within earshot. Each lady who came into the parlor had a different story and each of them were interesting. I guess that's human psychology. Even trivial matters from other people's lives are very interesting.
As I sat there I listened to how the brother of one of the ladies left his job as he was made to work overtime and not paid for it. I listened to how one of the ladies from another city had an abortion, was advised bed rest, came to her mother's place for this and now was at the beauty parlor. Then there was this lady who was upset and grumpy because the last time these people had colored her hair, it hadn't come out well. Yet here she was, skeptical about their quality of work but getting it done again. Another lady brought along her 5 month old daughter. She made monkey faces at the baby and tried to make her laugh  as she got a hair cut for herself. Apparently she had a wedding to attend the next day, as was the case with two other ladies who had come. There was an old, conservative looking lady who came to get an oil massage for her hair. She seemed more interested in knowing what others were there for. She wanted to know why I was there actually. Another lady came with her 3 year old daughter who was petrified when she realized her mother had brought her to this place. "No mehendi, no mehendi", "What are you doing to mommy", she kept screaming. I suppose she is usually dragged along for such visits and she resents them, much like me. She ran away happily when her mother was finally done, after an hour, when she was promised it was only going to take 5 minutes.
At the end of it all I felt like I knew so much about so many strangers! I couldn't help but admire the owner of the parlor (a petite looking mother of two) who seemed to know all these people and their personal stuff in and out. She was like a psychologist who drew out from you, your inner thoughts and worries. Although she offered no concrete solutions people seemed to be at ease with her. Imagine getting yourself beautified while you get some therapy! Good idea for a business venture, I must say.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life is a circus

Happy to be creative

The feeling of being left out