Hand prints


Look at that tiny hand print next to the big one. Notice any difference besides the size? Yes, the colour of course. But what I had in mind was different. When I was admiring it, I couldn't help but notice that the imprint of the big one was much lighter and blurred. In contrast the imprint of the smaller hand was more clear and more firm. That's what differentiates a child from an adult. Children are more open to experiment, more willing to try. As a result, the outcome is bold and distinct .

The small hand is my daughter's. While we were doing this I was hesitant, not sure how it would turn out to be. My daughter, on the other hand, put her hand forward without any hesitation and pressed it firmly on the paper. She seemed so sure of what she was doing. When we are younger we have less inhibitions, we know little fear and hence don't dread failure. As we grow up the wall begins to build. We start drawing boundaries and limiting ourselves to what we think is our capacity and capability. Many a times we miscalculate. We draw the boundaries too small and underestimate what we are capable of. Children have no boundaries, the world is their playground. When I tell my daughter, "You cannot do that, you will hurt yourself", she will try and try till she ends up doing it successfully. That's the kind of determination I lack. The rules set by society and the ones we adults set ourselves determine what we can achieve.

I can't help but admire the courage and grit my daughter possesses. I long to have hand prints as clear and precise as her's!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life is a circus

Happy to be creative

The feeling of being left out