Priorities

I remember attending this work shop at one of my previous places of work. It was on Time Management. I also remember the person conducting this work shop telling us that one of the essentials of effective time management is prioritization. Set your priorities right, he said, and half your problem is solved. We are supposed to segregate our daily tasks and put them under labels such as Urgent and Important, Urgent but not Important, Important but not Urgent, not Urgent not Important etc; Apparently if most of your tasks fall under the third category ( Important but not Urgent), then you are like the Guru of Time Management. Quiet fascinating actually! But practical too? I don't think so. How many of us would actually be able to follow this?

Time Management apart, the concept of prioritization somehow fascinates me. I mean look at it from a Woman's point of view- Career or family? Husband or Children? Parents or Husband? Friends or Children? Beauty Parlor or work? The last one of course was to lighten up things. But you get the point right? Sometimes I really wonder why do we HAVE to choose? Why can't you just have the cake and eat it too!!!



I know that's what life is all about and that's what makes life interesting and that's how its supposed to be etc, etc; Come to think of it, what you are as a person and how you live your life is very much determined by the priorities you set for yourself. I can choose to be happy, I can choose to be miserable. I can choose to be best boss or I can choose the be the best mom. So I guess, most choices are driven by a sense of priority. If I want to be home everyday when my child comes back from school I will choose to be a home maker or I will choose a part time job. If I choose to be a home maker I choose to be financially dependent or if I choose to work part time I choose to earn less. Each time I am prioritizing.  So if I were to represent this as an equation:

                                Importance of choice    ∝     Priority of matter

( Importance of choice is directly proportionate to the priority of the matter/issue. The higher the priority of something, the stronger will be the tendency to choose it)

Wow!!! I sound intelligent! I know I could have done without the equation, but I always wanted to represent something mathematical, just for the sake of it :D


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life is a circus

Happy to be creative

Loneliness