Of changing faces and fading memories


It’s happened to me so many times. When you bump into someone after a really long time what’s your first reaction? Unless it’s an enemy or someone you really can’t stand, I would say I would be delighted and excited. This someone maybe an old friend, an old neighbour, school mate, junior at college or just simply an acquaintance. I know I don’t have the best of memories ( in fact I sometimes feel like a 90 year old, for that’s how bad my memory is!) But my memory is good enough to recognize people I have known before and even recollect their names most of the times. 

Unfortunately I can’t expect everyone to be like that. Many people seem to suffer from a terrible memory loss.  I mean, you join a new company and come across a class mate who also works there.  This person has spent 12 years of her school life with you.  She refuses to show any signs of knowing you! Even after speaking to her and reminding her of who you are, no luck. You often see people online. They are on your friends list on Facebook and were quiet close to you when you worked with them or studied with them. You feel happy to see them online and drop in a “hi, so and so”, happy to be able to speak to them after so long. In return you get a disinterested reply. You realize immediately, you made a mistake. You were better off not trying to reconnect with them.
Do people change? Is out of sight really out of mind? Is the memory of people, in general, really poor enough to not recollect familiar people or do they just choose to ignore? Do they think it’s a waste of time and energy trying to relive their pasts once again. even if it’s only for a moment and for the sake of someone you once knew quiet well?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life is a circus

Happy to be creative

Loneliness