Don't 'bank' on me!!!

I was at the bank the other day. It got me thinking. My experience at this bank, which advertises itself as the Global Local Bank, was actually quiet pleasant. Now, I am one of those people who believe that net banking is better than traditional banking. So if I do happen to go to a bank, I tend to get lost and get all nervous. Especially if you go to one of the more established national banks, the person across the counter will look at you from over his/her spectacles, the kind of "I know what you are" look! Then they will answer you in one word only, will not repeat what they say, will answer you loudly if you still go ahead and repeat your question. Makes you feel that you annoyed them or that you are the only novice there (read nincompoop).

I remember that we had an English lesson back in school, where the author was a kindred of mine, who dreaded going to the bank. It was called "At the bank" or something like that. One day he musters his courage to actually go to one, to open an account. He bungles, makes a fool of himself and leaves the place in a hurry. He never goes back there and continues keeping his savings in his socks, as he did before. I know, not a charming story!! But you get the point, right?

I actually could empathize with the  author. I try avoiding going to a bank as much as I can. When it is inevitable I tag along with someone and just follow their lead. Not the best thing to do. But works for me nonetheless. But this time I had to venture out alone into this enigma called 'Bank' as it was an urgency topped by " I have this work to do" response from almost anyone who I though I could 'bank' on. So off I went. But what happened there was unexpected. My work was done in 15 minutes and without any hassles too.

As I entered the bank, a friendly and pretty looking lady, with a "Can I help you" board before her, asked me what I wanted. I explained my purpose, somehow feeling like a martyr. She just printed out a slip and gave it to me, indicated that I be seated in the Lounge Area. The interiors was in no way similar to what you would picture when you think of a bank. They even had a children's play area which looked quiet inviting. Another pretty lady, in her early 20s perhaps and who could easily be a girl on a shopping spree on Commercial Street, walked up after 5 minutes and asked who had ticket number 26 with them. When I raised my hand, she led me to her work station and from there it was smooth sailing. My work was done in a giffy and I was out of the bank.

Now I understand what they mean when they say the world is one global village. The power of technology, progress and competition works wonders. As they say "ab dekho aage aage hota hai kya!!!"


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life is a circus

Happy to be creative

Loneliness